April 14, 2008

I Hate Art

There, I said it and I'm not sorry.

I used to like art. But it's gotten too weird and too gimmicky. When it comes to art I'm a philistine (or as my friend Mikey says, a Finkelstein.)

As you've probably surmised, I am talking mainly about contemporary art. Here at TAC Global Headquarters we have a saying: "If it's ugly, pointless and expensive, it must be art."

Art does not, as its promoters claim, help explain life. Nothing helps explain life (see The 8-Year-Old Existentialist.) Warhol's definition seems very apropos these days: "It's whatever you can get away with."

I'm thinking about starting a society to call bullshit on contemporary art. We'll call ourselves The Fighting Finkelsteins. Who's in?

Note To Artists:
I'm not talking about your stuff. It's all that other stuff.

How The Universe Gets Even With Us:
My daughter (The-Only-Person-I-Really-Like) is studying art.

No comments: